Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mummy, my super hero

'The best friend god gave me'

May 15, 2006

Mummy, my super hero!

The Veda says, matrudevobhava, pitrudevobhava, acharyadevobhava, atithidevobhava in Sanskrit- mother (matru) always first. Not pita (father), not acharya (teacher), not guru, nobody.

She is the one who brings us into this world, our first playmate, first teacher, only best-friend; first guide to spirituality and a beautiful creation of God who helps us realize him. A mother is the embodiment of love and affection. The conception of thought about 'mother' promotes in us feelings of love, reverence and surrender which are the main factors of life.

Mother is said to be heart of the family. Only a mother's heart can bear with patience, all troubles and miseries. She never gets tired of changing endless count of diapers, spends sleepless nights when the child is sick, guides us through tough phases of life and is like a rudder to our family taking us in the right direction. She warns us of danger and then embraces us, feeds us, cleans us and tucks us safely into the bed for the night.

My mother is my super hero, of course! Mummy, that is how I call her.

She got married at the age of 19 and had two kids by the time she was 22. Now, we are three as my other brother was born late. She completed her studies both bachelors and masters while taking us along with her to exam halls and interviews. She is a teacher by profession. She has been an epitome of sacrifice and commitment as I have seen her being with our father through all tough times and without her we cannot imagine our family from a car shed to where we are now. I am married and doing my M.S in Biochemical engineering in USA. My first brother is doing his B.Tech in ECE in India and my second brother is in primary school in Saudi Arabia, with my parents.

I have countless pages to write about my mother but I will just quote one episode. It was in my 10th grade, when my father was struggling in his career in Saudi and my mother had to take care of both of us alone. On January 1st 1996, I was diagnosed pulmonary tuberculosis. During those 6 months, she did not literally sleep for 6 months, had to attend my two major operations alone, juggle between hospital and food court, I used to vomit every 10 minutes, sometimes she used to give her sari pallu and her hand, later for one year she never forgot to give a medicine to me with breakfast. For information, T.B is said to be contagious. With all her support, I scored 81% in my 10th grade and stand where I am now in my life.

Many moments, which I can never imagine anyone taking part in, except a mother.

Thanks Mummy, I love you.

Tanuja R Majeti
Ruston, Louisiana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home